Campus JAX is a supper club - one entree is required per person and meals start at just $10.
PS - No drink minimums.
Here is a little back story on Jesse Dayton and what he has been up to:
“If you open your arms to the world, it’s amazing what will come back atcha,” drawls East Texas native, singer/songwriter/filmmaker/author Jesse Dayton, who has a bunch more homespun wisdoms where that came from. A veteran of more than 30 years as a musician, Dayton was discovered as a young teenager playing “a toilet dive” in his hometown of Beaumont by legendary club owner Clifford Antone, who booked him into his famed Austin venue, then immediately shifted him over to the honky-tonk Broken Spoke, where the likes of Willie Nelson, George Strait and Ernest Tubb have had residencies.
“When I first got to Austin, everybody else sounded like Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I sounded more like Jerry Reed. I didn’t think I was cool, either, because this was before every punk sported that image of Johnny Cash flipping the rod.”
Equally steeped in Texas/Louisiana blues, old-school country and punk-rock, Dayton is the music world’s best-kept secret, hiding in plain sight as a guitarist for Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Ryan Bingham and L.A. punk pioneers X, as well as touring alongside Social Distortion, the Supersuckers and John Doe.
Brought up on his older sister’s Laurel Canyon folk records, the FM album rock and punk he listened to as a teenager plusthe array of country acts who used to tour through Beaumont – including Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, David Allen Coe, Conway Twitty, Hank Jr., and George Jones – Dayton has managed to create a genuine hybrid that takes alt-country and Americana in new, exciting directions.
“The world doesn’t need another outlaw country singer covering Waylon Jennings,” he says of his stylistic mix. “Everyone where I was growing up had no idea Neil Young wrote Waylon’s ‘Are You Ready for the Country?’ or that George Jones’ ‘Bartender’s Blues’ was written by James Taylor, a stoned junkie at the time.”
Although he tours nearly 250 days a year, Dayton keeps the home fires burning in the same Austin house he bought thanks to earning 75% of the publishing royalties from writing songs for the soundtracks of three Rob Zombie horror flicks, including The Devils Rejects and Halloween 2 (performing a cameo as Captain Clegg, a roll he revived nightly as the support act on Zombie’s U.S. tour that year).
Dayton’s own career path includes such Zelig-like moments as being recruited by iconic producer Huey P. Meaux to record with zydeco star Rockin Dopsey at Houston’s famed Sugarhill Studios; recording his debut album, Raisin’ Cain, with Doug Sahm, Flaco Jiminez and Johnny Gimble, topping the Americana radio charts. He went on to record with Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Bush and Glen Campbell. Dayton has more than 50 songs licensed to film and television, writing and directing what he calls a B-movie Roger Corman monster flick, Zombex, in New Orleans, featuring an eclectic cast including Malcolm McDowell, cult actor Sid Haig, Walking Dead’s Lew Temple, Corey Feldman, Slayer’s Tom Araya and X’s John Doe, who promptly asked him to sit in for Billy Zoom, recovering from cancer treatment, on a 40-city tour. His next project is completing his memoirs and short stories for a book to be published later in 2021, and he just finished playing guitar on Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan’s new solo album.
Jesse Dayton Quick Facts * 11 studio albums, multiple singles and EP’s as a solo artist
* Continued extensive support from SiriusXM, Outlaw Country
* Collaborations or guest appearances with Doug Sahm, Flaco Jimenez, Johnny Gimble, The Supersuckers, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Ray Price, Willie Nelson, Johnny Bush, Glen Campbell, and John Doe
* Jesse Dayton's "Badass Country Show" airs weekly on Gimme Country and has featured interviews with Ryan Bingham, Hayes Carll, Joe Ely and many more. Gimme Country also launched a 24 hour station programmed by Dayton
* Dayton has established himself as an international touring artist, with consistent headlining and support tours, as well as festival dates throughout North America, UK and Europe. 2021-2022 will see Dayton returning to these territories as well as Australia & New Zealand. Dayton is also a staple of the Outlaw Country Cruise
* 3 soundtrack collaborations with Rob Zombie, for his films The Devil's Rejects, Halloween 2 (also featuring Jesse in the role of Captain Clegg), and The Haunted World Of El Super Beasto.
* Over 50 songs licensed to film and television.
* Writer and director of the independent horror film Zombex, starring Malcolm McDowell, Sid Haig, Lew Temple (from The Walking Dead) and John Doe.
This is an all-ages show, free parking, cabaret style seating and an excellent menu!
Reserve your seats at StellarShows.net